Monday, May 5, 2014

Soft and Chewy Gluten Free Cookie Bars

Pin It

                          Soft and Chewy Cookie Bars


     Let me just start off by saying it has been a tough week in the kitchen at my house!!!  Firstly, I was trying to redo a Peanut Butter Cake so it would have a little more lift and volume; well, I ran out of Buttermilk and tried to make my own.  I learned not to use Vinegar with our flour a long time ago, but I thought I should be able to use lemon juice.  That was a big fat NO!!  I had cake overflowing like crazy in the oven, I haven't had that problem since I first started baking Gluten Free.  My entire house reeked of smoke, all week. The cake did taste delicious though!
      Then I decided to make a new cookie bar, for my nieces Blessing.  So I had everything all mixed up and added Toffee bits in, then baked a cookie to see how they would bake up.  I had my husband taste it, he said,"the cookie tastes kinda stale"  I freaked, are you kidding me, I just opened up brand new EVERYTHING!!  So then I started sniffing the marshmallows, the chocolate chips, the toffee bits..... oh my heck, the Toffee smelled stale and Disgusting!  There goes a whole batch of cookie dough in the TRASH!  It's been an expensive week!!  
     The moral of this story is, just keep trying, and always look at the expiration date on the food, even if it is new.  The Cookie Bars were a HIT, and so easy to make, no babysitting of the oven!! YAY! 
Happy Baking, Natalie

Ingredients:
-1 1/4 cups sugar
-1 1/4 cups brown sugar
-1 1/2 cups butter (softened)
-2 tsp vanilla
-1/2 tsp baking powder
-1 1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp salt
-3 large eggs
-4 1/4 cups Pamela's Bread Flour  
-2 cups marshmallows
-1 cup Butterscotch Chips
-2 cups Semi-sweet chocolate chips
Add whatever flavor chips you would like, they marshmallows really make it chewy. We just love lots of chips!

  
 How to:
-First beat your butter, sugar and brown sugar together until soft and fluffy.
-Next add your vanilla, salt,sodas and eggs then mix until combined and scrape sides.
-Then add your flour a cup at a time, scraping and mixing.
-Lastly add the Chocolate chips, Butterscotch Chips and Marshmallows and mix.
-Refrigerate for 30 minutes, then Spray with Pam and spread into a 13x18 inch sheet cake Pan. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, bake for 25 min, it will be a nice golden brown.  Cool, cut and eat.

 This is my Favorite thing this week-   Royal Caribbean Cruise lines, they are the first to be Autism Trained, I have many Autistic friends, so this means a lot to me!!
Read the article, it's great.



http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2014/02/20/autistic-child-autism-friendly-cruise/5640629/


No comments: