Sunday, September 2, 2012

Gluten Free Apple Crumb Cake

Pin It
                        Apple Crumb Cake


       I have to start out by saying, I HATE anything that has cooked fruit in it.  I don't eat pies, crumbles, cobblers or tarts, pretty much anything that has a piece of fruit in it, and has been in the oven!  I know, for all of you pie lovers out there, this is Horrible; my husband and daughter totally agree.  In the 18 years I have been married, I have made my poor husband 1 apple dessert( I am a bad wife). 
     So now that apple season is upon us, I promised him I would make at least one.  I however, made the mistake of letting him choose, so next I have to make a pie, oh my, the crust.  I have made pies in the past, my Grandma Huntsman taught me how, but that was before I was GF, so I am NERVOUS that it won't taste fantastic,(really that it will taste like crap, and I will have wasted time and expensive flour) but I am going to try.  This recipe originally came from, Emeril Lagasse.  My daughter told me, that since I baked this cake I had to try it; I didn't want to, but it looked and smelled delicious!!  OK, so I tried it, and it was FANTASTIC, if I have to eat something apple, I will eat this. Natalie :)


Ingredients:

The crumb topping is so good!

-1/2 cup butter

-1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar( I used dark, therefor the cake is darker)

-2 large eggs

-2 cups Pamela's Bread flour

-2 tsp baking soda

-1 tsp cinnamon

- 1 cup plain yogurt(you could use sour cream)

-1 tsp pure vanilla extract

-2 cups peeled, cored and chopped apples( I used Golden Delicious, they are the new crop)

 

Crumb topping:

-1/2 cup packed brown sugar

- 1/2 cup Pamela's Bread flour mix

-1/2 tsp cinnamon

-4 TB butter semi-soft 

 

Brown Sugar Glaze:

-1/2 cup brown sugar packed

-1/2 tsp vanilla

-2TB water

     Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and spray  a 9x13 inch glass baking dish.  Bake for 48-50 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Then cool on a wire rack for 15-20 min, then put on the brown sugar glaze.

       In a large bowl or mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar until they are fluffy.  Then add the eggs one at a time and mix them in completely, make sure and scrape down the sides.  Next add in the dry ingredients, and mix well.  Then add either the yogurt or sour cream, whichever you use and the vanilla. Combine them and then add the apples, mix on low.  Pour into the baking dish, and spread to the edges, it is thick.

     To make the Crumble add the brown sugar, flour mix, cinnamon, and butter.  Stir with a fork and smash it together until it looks like crumbs, then it is ready. 

      To make the glaze put the brown sugar, vanilla and water into a bowl and stir for about 2 min, then drizzle over the cake and serve.  You serve this cake either warm or room temp, and even better with a scoop of ice cream!



 

No comments: